Discovered Errors in
Modern Cosmological Observations
While we hope there aren't any, that would
be unrealistic. The following is the discovered list to date:
- Equation 1.7b: In d2y/dt2 there is a - sign instead of + before the second
bracket (the acceleration term in theta direction is with + sign)
that is multiplied with cos(theta)
- Page 14: We have a new particle, apparently here called the AUTIQUARK.
Maybe that is the missing mass? In any event, this should be antiquark
- Equation 1.10: The metric could also be defined using sin2
(fi) instead of cos2
- Equation 1.19: Big time Opps here:
- In the derivative of volume
with respect to the spatial coordinate r written in the parenthesis
is erroneus. (instead of a factor 3, there should be 4*\pi)
- In the equation (1.19) itself there should be
(V-dot)/V) instead of dV/V (that multiplies -(rho+p))
- Equation 1.27: There is a sign error. The Right Hand Side
of the equation should be -(K/R2)
this convention is such that a positive value of K means thaT
the change in the scale factor grows less slowly (due to more
mass/gravitational attraction in a K=+1 cosmology compared to
- Figure 2.1: Somehow the term Supernovae got transferred by
the publisher to Supermovie. Cool ... Also, TE relation should
be TF (Tully Fisher Relation).
- Page 39: An egregious error here. The amplitude of variation of
a Cepheid decreases with increasing
wavelength. By the time you get to the infrared, the variability is
very difficult to detect. So there is a trade off between detection
of variability and the effects of dust. As a result, the I-band seems
to be the optimal wavelength for Cepheid detection given these two
- Page 69: Third line from the bottom: If (m-M)=31.01+/-0.17 it corresponds to
15.92 Mpc and not 17.02 as stated in the parenthesis.
- Page 76: In the subsection on Gravitational Lensing, the first
occurence of the word unknown should be known .
- Equation 3.11: Opps - don't know how this one came to be
but this should be:
1.2 x 109 * (RMpc/Vr (1000 km/s)) yrs
Page 98: Vr3 is in error in equation 3.25
the 3 should be outside the bracket
Page 99: Equation 3.26 There are two large
brackets missing so that the entire should be to the -1
power as correctly stated in the text 3 lines above.
Page 107, second line from the bottom:
the word as should be has
Section numbering in chapter 3 is incorrect. Section 3.3 is
missing I wonder what should have been there?
Page 141: The capital J in 4.6a and 4.6b
should be a small j.
Page 141: Equation 4.6e has two minus signs
in a row, oops...
Page 146: Major goof here: equations 4.11
and 4.11a should all be of the form exp(-R); the rest of the derivation
is okay. If it were actually plus R, the total masses of galaxies would
be infinite - something we can rule out from observations ...
Page 186: equation 5.7 is missing the right hand double paranthesis
Page 191: equation 5.22b the first term
should be dv'/dt not d rho'/dt
Page 194: Third equation under section 5.15 is missing a '+'
sign on the LHS between the second time derivative and the 4/3 term.