Educational Technology


Meeting - October 5, 1995

Attending:

Chris Luebkeman, Asst. Professor, Architecture (chrisl@aaa),
Dale Smith,Asst. Director, Network Services (dsmith@phloem),
Dan Udovic, Assoc. Professor, Biology (udovic@oregon),
Deborah Carver, Knight Library (dcarver@oregon),
Georgeanne Cooper, Coordinator, TEP (gcooper@oregon),
Greg Bothun , Committee Chair ,Professor, Physics (nuts@moo),
JQ Johnson, Academic Ed Coordinator, Library (jqj@darkwing),
Jeff Stolet, Assoc. Professor, Music (stolet@oregon),
Jerry Tindal, Assoc. Professor, Special Ed (geraldt@oregon),
Jim Crosswhite , Assistant Professor, English (jcross@oregon),
Kathy Heerema, Asst. Director, Microcomputer Center (mailto:heerema@oregon),
Nancy Melone, Assoc. Professor, Management (nmelone@oregon),
Steve Kevan, Professor, Physics (kevan@oregon), &
Tim Gleason, Assoc. Professor, Journalism & Communication (tgleason@oregon)

Absent:

Art Farley, Professor, Computer & Info Sciences (art@cs),
Cleven Mmari, Student (:major: Computer & Info Sciences), (cmmari@gladstone),
Mitch Davis, Asst. Professor, Law (mwdavis@law),
Zach Kelton, ASUO Vice President (zkelton@gladstone).

New Member:

Andrew Bonamici, Instructional Media Center, Knight Library (bonamici@oregon)

Notes:

Lucy Lynch, Computing Center (llynch@darkwing)

Guests:

Joanne Hugi, Dir, Compu Serv , University Computing (hugi@oregon),
Joe St Sauver, Asst Dir, Acad User Serv , University Computing (joe@oregon),
Dave Meyer, Network Engineer, University Computing (meyer@oregon)
Mary Bradley, Micro Labs Support Manager, University Computing (mbradley@oregon)
Josh Cox, Lab Supprt Tech, University Computing (joshc@darkwing)

Documents:

Agenda, Apprenticeship Program , Electronic Curriculum and Teaching Scholarship , Modem Policy

Proceedings:

  1. Progress report on classroom upgrades and status of previous action items (Bothun)

    The five classroom upgrade projects are proceeding. We are still awaiting delivery of the consoles to house all the equipment. The original order was placed on August 22.

    Deady 106 is used 2--3 times a day by the math department for the purpose of projecting mathematica and other software. Room rennovations are almost complete except for some inlined black shades on the windows.

    Chiles 128 now has all the equipment. It is not known yet if it is being used.

    Lawrence 177 and 115 are done. The equipment is being used in the AStronomy 121 class in 177 Lawrence taught by Professor Imamura. A high resolution proxima 920 panel has been secured for AAA use and use in these rooms.

    Straub 146 still needs network connection. A panel has not yet been acquired for that room due to lack of feedback.

    Status of Action Items:

  2. New Committee Member Introduction

    Andrew Bonamici, Assistant University Librarian for Administrative and Instructional Media Services was introduced as a new member.

    Josh Cox was introduced as the Chair of the Student Computing Policy Committee.

  3. Current Modem Installation Status and Metricom Status (Smith)

    There are currently 230 active modems in the UO pool, an additional 96 modems have been delivered and rack mounted, but need additional work for final hook-up.

    Metricom has completed installation of radio equipment for the Ricochet Wireless Data Service campus trial. Dale is looking for 25 beta users to test the wireless modems for a month. Users should be with-in visual distance of PLC and must pay the monthly service fee (beta testers will be able to but their modems for $100. at the end of the test!). Network Services will be developing the drivers for these modems and Micro Consulting will work on developing documentation and Micro Purchase will be selling the Metricom wireless modems (about $295. installed). These modems will support TCP/IP only and are not a good fit with users who need ARA (Apple Remote Access) or Shiva (Novell) connectivity.

    Radios have been placed on top of many campus building (EMU, Lawrence, PLC, CC) and inside the Knight and Science libraries. Dale notes that Metricom is a commercial service and NOT part of UO networking - we are providing them an opportunity to site their equipment.

  4. The role of the IMC in educational technology support (Bonamici)

    Andrew will now be managing the Instructional Media Center and spoke about his goals for improved service and support. Some of these included:

    1. Improve computer projection and network integration in classrooms.
    2. Become a "one-stop" support site for classroom technologies
    3. Provide portable equipment (Camcorders, Digital cameras, computer carts, etc.) on a check out system
    4. Address student needs for equipment like camcorders.
    Andrew also cited a current survey of student requests being conducted at the IMC and encouraged instructors to have their students report their needs.

  5. Report on the survey of faculty and students (Tindal)

    Jerry Tindal presented a summary of the Teaching Technology Survey. (see also these notes Group discussion centered around the 22% of students who are resistant to computer technology in the classroom and ways to reach students who may not find that computers improve their learning.

    Tim Gleason in the course of discussing the survey results raised the point of fair expectations with respect to classroom assignments. That is, can professors know what students can be reasonably expected to do given the current state of ON and OFF campus network access. This also led to a general discussion on support models for students and faculty with the consensus being that lots of support is needed but that the optimal structure of that support remains elusive. Bothun suggested that ultimately, student driven peer support is the only thing that will work.

    As an addon to this, Bothun suggested that the committee and the Deans really need to know the level of desktop computing resources that faculty have right now. To assess this Bothun drafted this small survey which will be distributed to all faculty. For this to be effective, we need nearly 100% faculty response, so urge your colleagues to spend 5 minutes filling out the form.

  6. Summary of Syllabus 95 (JQ)

    The Syllabus '95 conference, held July 22-26 at Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, Calif., focused on how technology can be used in instruction. More than 1,000 attendees from the U.S., Canada, Spain, Sweden, Belgium, and Japan attended the event.

    The program was divided into daily topics:

    1. Monday: Focus on Multimedia
    2. Tuesday: Focus on the Internet (WWW)
    3. Wednesday: Infrastructure/Implementation (Smart Classrooms)

  7. AAHE "Teaching Learning and Technology Round Table" (Luebkeman, Melone, and Cooper)

  8. EDCUCOM 95 (Chris L)

  9. Open discussion on funding strategies for faculty development efforts

    Deferred until next meeting which will be on Nov 16 from 8:30--9:45 in Willamette 350.

Meeting adjourned

Followup Attachments:





Educational Technology Business, Meetings and Agenda
Please send comments or questions to
llynch@darkwing.uoregon.edu