Saving the Earth via choice of light bulb
- 1 20-W fluorescent fixture produces as much
light as 1 100-W Incan bulb.
- The fluorescent bulb lasts for 10,000 hours
- the Incan bulb lasts for 1000 hours
- The fluorescent bulb costs $7.50 (which is why
no one buys them)
- The Incan bulb costs $0.75 (which is why everyone
Now lets calculate the total cost over the lifetime of
the fluorescent bulb assuming a cost rate of 10 cents
So, over a 10,000 hour period, the fluorescent bulb
has a total cost of $27.50 and the Incands have a total
cost of $107.50.
- Fluorescent bulb = 10,000 hours * 20 Watts =
200 KWH * 10 cents per KWH = $20 + the cost of the
bulb total cost = $27.50
- Incan bulb = 1,000 hours * 100 Watts = 100 KWH *
10 cents per KWH = $10.00 + the cost of the
bulb total cost = $10.75
- Now multiply this by 10 = $107.50
You just saved 80 bucks as well as 800 KWH of energy.
Clearly always use fluorescent bulbs if you are
interested in saving energy and money.
However, this requires thinking on the long term!