Date Due: Tuesday April 22
Turn in the Assignment to your Discussion Section Leader.
For this homework assignment, you may work with 2 or 3 other students in class to complete it.
OPTIONAL If you want to prepare a web page in response
to this assignment that would be great. This is not required
1. Either by using the Web or by going to a library, make a plot/graph of the World Wide Consumption of oil as a function of year going back to say, 1970. Please clearly state your units of measurement (e.g. billions of barrels of oil or whatever)
2. Find some information about the amount of oil that is left in proven reserves. Using the graph that you made above estimate when the world's oil supply will be exhausted. Do you believe this estimate? If so, why? If not, why not?
3. Find some information on the Internet or the Library which refutes the claims to be made in this class that we will run out of Oil in the next 50 years. Give an estimate on how reliable you think these claims are.
4. Find some information about the current performance of electric vehicles in terms of range and power and overall cost. From this information make a determination of the current feasibility of electric vehicles as a transportation alternative. Identify some specific models of EV's that are currently being manufactured by traditional automakers (e.g. Ford, GM, etc).
5. Use this resource as a guide, answer the following related to Aluminum production in the US.