Astronomy 123: Second Homework Assignment
Provide some information in response to the following questions. This
is best done by using an Internet
search engine and typing in a key
word or phrase related to the question.
- Briefly outline the procedure/experiment that Penzias And Wilson
did to discover (accidentally) the Microwave Background.
- What was the COBE mission of NASA and what were its main results?
What is the WMAP mission and how has it improved upon the COBE results?
- Give a qualitative overview on the concept of Quantum Gravity .
- Explain how the density of deuterium is a sensitive probe of the
density of the early Universe.
- Suppose that I take a spectrum of two galaxies. In Galaxy 1 I observe
that the hydrogen line has a wavelength of 7220 angstroms. In Galaxy 2
I observe the hydrogen line has a wavelength of 6556 angstroms.
I know from laboratory measurements that the wavelength of this line
should be 6563 angstroms. Given this data, compute the redshift and
radial velocity of galaxies 1 and 2. This
Tutorial might help.