Astronomy 123: Fourth Homework Assignment
Provide some information in response to the following questions. This
is best done by using an Internet
search engine and typing in a key
word or phrase related to the question.
- What was Supernova 1987A and what were some of the things that were
learned from it.
- What is the most probable origin for the Earth's moon?
- Suppose you were arguing with someone about the Age of the
Earth and your foe had an intrinsic distrust of science and its methods
and so therefore would not believe anything to do with radioactive
age dating. Outline what points of "common sense" about the nature
of the Earth that you could use to demonstrate that the Earth is geologically
old. You might want to consult this reference
for some ideas.
- What is the current media frenzy about "Life on Mars" all about?
How credible is the scientific evidence on which these new claims are being
- Recently the entire biological community was shaken by a discovery
called the "African Eve". What is this discovery and what does it
suggest about the origin of Humans?
- What are tube worm colonies? Where are they located and what is
their significance to the formation of life?