Turn in the Assignment via email into one of the following addresses:
Important Information: Since the campus network allows student-to-student communication and since this network is part of the on campus learning infrastructure, students should make use of it. Past experience shows that students won't make use of it unless they are assigned to do so. You may make use of the classroom discussion group to discuss this assignment among yourselves.
For this homework assignment, you may work with 1 or 2 other students in class to complete it.
OPTIONAL If you want to prepare a web page in response
to this assignment that would be great. This is not required
1. Using an internet search engine such as This one find some information about energy derugalation in California, when its going to happen and what the consequences for the consumer are likely to be.
2. What is the time history of dam construction on the Columbia River? What are the power generating capacities (in units of MegaWatts) of each dam?
3. Find some information on the current US energy generating capacity of Photovoltaic arrays. In addition to providing energy to the power grid, what are some of their other uses? What are the power generating capacities (in units of MegaWatts) of these facilities?
4. Identify a location (or locations) in which Wind Energy is providing energy to the grid and which is sold to the consumer for less than 10 cents per kilowatt hour. What are the power generating capacities (in units of MegaWatts) of these facilities?
5. In the lecture pages its stated that the world's oil supply will essentially run out in the next 50 years. Find some information that would either support or refute that argument and make your judgement on which is most correct.